How It Works
The Parent Advisory Council (PAC) is a committee made up of parents from our school community. The PAC meet monthly throughout the school year to discuss a wide variety of matters including upcoming school activities, events, policies/practices, and fundraising as required. The principal and at least one staff member attend each meeting.
What is the Mission of the PAC?
To enhance the communication within the school community and to promote a positive team effort in order to achieve the most effective education for all students.
What is the Role of the PAC?
- To advise the principal and/or School Board on any school matters including those related to policy and programs, activities and school improvements.
- To participate in the development of the annual school plan and the school budget proposal prior to submission to the school board.
- To participate in school reviews and to receive feedback on actions taken.
- To promote co-operation between the home and the School.
- To support and encourage pride & confidence in the School.
- To be accountable to the School Community for PAC activities & expenditures.
What happens at a PAC meeting?
- At each meeting, the Principal and/or Teacher representative gives a “School Report”. This report usually includes a summary of past and upcoming events and activities at the school; may address any overall current concerns or issues at the school; updates on staffing changes; seeking parents’ input on the School Plan.
- The PAC President will report on new or on-going initiatives being undertaken by the PAC. These may include fund-raising activities to support school events and/or needs (technology needs, support for cultural activities, development of playground); planning for annual events such as the Pancake Breakfast, Staff Appreciation week and the Community BBQ; means of enhancing the role of PAC for families.
- The Treasurer presents a monthly financial statement.
- A School Trustee often attends and provides a brief update on Divisional matters.
- An Open Forum is always provided to allow anyone the opportunity to share any general comments, concerns or ask questions. Any specific matters that a parent may have related to them or their child at the school should be brought forward to their individual teacher and/or the Principal. PAC’s role is not to be an advocate for or intervene on behalf of a parent.
How can I be on the PAC?
Any member of the school community may join PAC. New members are nominated at the Annual General Meeting (AGM), held each year in September. A person may be nominated by another person from the school community or may nominate themselves. An executive (President, Vice-President, Treasurer and Secretary) is elected at the first meeting of the PAC, following the AGM.
Any member of the school community may attend a PAC meeting!
Why should I join PAC or come out to a PAC meeting?
- To find out more about what is happening in your child’s school and to have some input.
- To meet and get to know other parents and the school staff.
- To feel better connected to your child’s school as a whole, and not just to individual classes.
- To help enhance your child’s educational experience.
When does the PAC meet?
The PAC tries to meet once a month in the staff room of Nechako Elementary School.